Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bomb Diggity Dinner


I haven't posted any recipes in a long time. So long that I can't remember if I ever have....anyway, Ashley Mounteer ( formerly Manwill:) gave me a cookbook that is hilarious AND SOOOOOOOO good. She has a copy and I borrowed it for a good 2 weeks. So, for my birthday, she sent me a copy:) We both love to try new recipes and find things that are healthy, but don't taste like it. Thoughtful little bestie. Everything I make out of it is so good. Despite my lack of recipes posted, I really love to cook & bake, and this book rocks. Last night we made:

Melancauli Baby

Curried cauliflower Sweet potato soup with Swiss cheese and wild rice

When you’re feeling down in the dumps, raise your spirits with this outstanding combination of ingredients that’s so tasty, it’ll bring tears of joy to your eyes!

1 tbsp butter or oliv

e oil

2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large)
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups small cauliflower florets
1 ½ cups peeled, cubed sweet potato
1 ½ tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cooked brown and wild rice blend (see tip in margin)
1 cup evaporated 2% m

ilk

1/2 cup packed shredded light Swiss cheese (2 oz)

Add butter to a medium saucepan & melt.

Add leeks and garlic. Cook and stir until leeks begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

Stir in cauliflower, sweet potato, curry, and cumin. Cook and stir for 1 more minute. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

Transfer half the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Return puréed soup to pot with remaining soup and mix well. Stir in cooked rice, milk, and Swiss cheese.

Heat soup for 1 more minute. Serve hot.

Makes 8 servings

Per serving: 142 calories, 3.7 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 8 g of protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium


*** I put extra cut up sweet potatoes because I love them, also I forgot swiss cheese and used pepper jack and I loved the little kick it gave it. Also, it was even better the next day for lunch and only has 142 calories per serving.***


Here is a pic of the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Shrink-Merry-Great-Tasting-Food-That/dp/0968063136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290546601&sr=8-1

1 comment:

THE GOULDINGS said...

I made it! It was so tasty!!!! Thank you:)