Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Birthday Saturday

My birthday was in September, so this is a little tardy. It was a semi-lonely one until Saturday when Bill took me on a gorgeous hike in Big Sur ( if you don't know what Big Sur is, google it, you won't regret it. It's stunning.) and to lunch at a rad little restaurant:
The trees were ENORMOUS. That word doesn't even do these trees justice. Anyone who knows me knows I dig trees more than the average bear, but these were very cool. We're standing in front of a trunk here in the pic below, and there was a slight language barrier with the stranger taking our pic for us so we got a close up:)
Cade yelled, I mean 'sang,' in his bjorn the entire 3 miles.


We couldn't even see the tops of the trees:
On the way back we got a pic in front of that huge tree....so so big.
The hike was beautiful, you ended up on top of a mountain looking down the canyon with the ocean at the end. It is very cool to live somewhere so similar to where I grew up, but have the ocean and beach too. The best of both worlds.
The restaurant
You could eat out in the creek in their chairs if you'd like, so Chico huh?
Or on the patio looking at the river with all the chairs in it, we opted for the patio since a baby carrier might be a titch reckless to take on a forging river luncheon.
The drive to Big Sur is unreal. The colors of the water, the random bouts of fog so thick you can't see, the cascading cliffs that make my stomach flutter...the drive is part of the whole experience.
People do this all over Monterey and I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the meaning...
This picture doesn't catch the craziness of this TALL bridge. Enter stomach flutters. It plunged so far down this canyon into the crashing ocean below. Nuts.
The same bridge from the other side
I love the views here. This was a great day. I love to hike. I love trees. I love the ocean. I love good food. I love chairs in the middle of a creek to cool your toes off. I loved spending my day doing all this with my two boys.

No comments: