Monday, April 26, 2010

SUSHI NIGHT!

So, I love sushi. One of the few things I have actually craved this pregnancy. I could eat it everyday maybe...problem is, it's kinda pricey. So, I decided to try and make it myself and it turned into a how-to date night which Bill & I have been doing lately. It's kinda fun to try and make your favorite food for date night once in awhile and just hang out together instead of going to a noisy restaurant. We ended up having way more fun than I thought, it was hilarious from the start when I went to the coolest Asian Market here in town. The cute lady who owns the store straight up gave me her family recipe run down for like 30 minutes and I soaked it up because I'm 38 weeks preg and if I'm gonna stand on my feet to cook it better be for some bomb sushi. Turned out sooooo much better than we thought it would! Here are the ingredients I got...sushi rice, wasabi, soy sauce, asparagus, avacado, shrimp, salmon, cream cheese, asian chile sauce, seaweed (sounds weird, it's not), sesame seeds and vinegar. PS-the Asian Market was 10 times cheaper than any grocery store and it's all authentic-no made in the U.S-Western Family brand stuff. You know it's good when the label is not in English and the cute Thai lady recommends it:)
Bill making his first roll with his very own .99 cent sushi roller courtesy of the Asian market.

He wasn't excited or anything. Saving money by not eating out and making his own sushi? Right up Bill's alley.



We tried to tempura fry a couple rolls and they looked weird until we cut them and they were sooooooo good.


The finished product. Voila!




5 comments:

Brittny said...

that looks sooo good! what a cute idea!!!!... oh and only a few more days!!!

Unknown said...

Yum! I am drooling over here! I LOVE sushi also. I have never tried to make it though...what a fun date night idea. I love TEMPURA. Tempura fried sushi...you are speaking my language girl!
Hope the next few days go well for you. You are going to have a baby any day!! So excited for you guys! Can't wait to see your cute little man! :)

THE GOULDINGS said...

This is so great! It looks so good... I want to have a fun date night like this! You guys are cute and creative!

Lindsey Jensen said...

Nice job!! Those look yummy. I'm not even a huge sushi fan but that makes me want some!!! Hope you are feeling well!! Can't wait to see pics of your little one!!

Steph said...

It's 7 am and I could eat that right here, right now. Yum. You guys and your sexy sushi creation...oh how I love you. I miss you. I hate that I can't be there to meet punky soon after he comes. Boo.